Disney to buy Lucasfilm, make more Star Wars movies

30 Oct, 2012, 16:13 | Posted by: jp-30 | Source: Coming Soon
In breaking news, Disney has acquired Lucasfilm for just over $4 billion. Star Wars Ep VII slated for 2015 release, apparently.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and “evergreen” Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney’s global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

What the Duck?

JP Update:

Comment by: Sven_Q45 | Posted 03 Nov, 2012, 16:55 | Quote
    Probaby No Indy movie. Ah! But historical news.

GF movie would be great.
    Comment by: Rum Rogers | Posted 03 Nov, 2012, 10:41 | Quote
    A GF movie by Pixar scares the hell out of me too... but on the other hand, Pixar never fails to be brilliant, so it could even be a wonderful thing for GF, provided that it would take a director with guts and balls.
    Comment by: clone2727 | Posted 03 Nov, 2012, 09:30 | Quote

Tal

It is my pleasure to reiterate this juicy detail provided earlier in the year (yanked from Wikipedia):

"In April 2012, Pixar announced their intention to create a film centered on the Mexican holiday Día de los Muertos and to be directed by Lee Unkrich."

Pixar. Grim Fandango. Unlikely as it may be, it would be a match made in heaven, especially if they had the balls to step up to PG-13.

I actually joked that Pixar was making the Grim Fandango movie last week with someone. Now I'm scared.
    Comment by: MKZY | Posted 02 Nov, 2012, 05:05 | Quote
    This is the biggest shocker since MI5... Damnit, I leave the internets for just a few days and what happens!
    Comment by: Rum Rogers | Posted 31 Oct, 2012, 06:44 | Quote
    Brilliant interpretation of the new situation by Tim:
    Tomb Schafer ‏@TimOfLegend
    Actual photo of Disney happily welcoming the classic LucasArts adventure properties into their family! http://bit.ly/W47GlE
    Comment by: jp-30 | Posted 31 Oct, 2012, 00:19 | Quote

daltysmilth

I wonder if the so-called Episode VII is anything concrete at this point, or if whoever wrote the press release just asked someone at Lucasfilm or Disney if this meant there would be another movie, and they said "Yeah, sure, we'd love to do another one at some point."

Watch the youtube clip above...
    Comment by: daltysmilth | Posted 31 Oct, 2012, 00:09 | Quote
    Comment by: Kroms | Posted 31 Oct, 2012, 00:04 | Quote
    If they got Henry Selick to do it and it was stop-motion animation, maybe.
    Comment by: Tal | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 21:42 | Quote

Comment by: Melancholick | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 21:24 | Quote

Jason

I couldn't care less about Star Wars, but it will be cool to see if Disney sees the same potential I do in an Indiana Jones animated series that covers the 40s. Surely Indy was having WWII and noir-flavored adventures prior to the events of Crystal Skull.

If this--or something like it--happened, it would not be the worst thing ever.

Comment by: Kroms | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 21:06 | Quote

Threepwood4life

Guybrush has an insult swordfight with Jack Sparrow, the possibilities are there

I groaned. Imagine Monkey Island: the animated series or whatever.
    Comment by: MeddlingMonk | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 20:24 | Quote
    George is probably just building a nest egg for his retirement. Those plaid shirts aren't cheap, you know.
    Comment by: jp-30 | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 20:22 | Quote

fco

yep, disney interactive studios, but it's pretty much today's lucasarts in terms of creativity.

So they just churn out licenced IP games from the Disney stable? I did enjoy the Rocketeer game on my 386 back in the day.

And they made my favourite game/simulator/sandbox thing ever, Stunt Island. But that was a long long time ago.
    Comment by: fco | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 19:32 | Quote

jp-30

Does Disney even have a gaming division these days?

jp-30

They might fold LucasArts or sell them off...

... to Double Fine! (dreaming is free, isn't it?)
    Comment by: jp-30 | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 19:15 | Quote
    Disney has done great things with Pixar. Their Muppet movie was excellent, and fans of the Avengers seem happy with the latest movie.

I'm sure any new Star Wars movies have a very good chance of being better than the prequels.

It's the non-Star Wars IPs I'm kind of worried about, but at the same time, somewhat hopeful.

Does Disney even have a gaming division these days? They might fold LucasArts or sell them off...
    Comment by: Jason | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 19:13 | Quote
    Comment by: fco | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 19:09 | Quote

jp-30

Pixar - Lucas - Disney... SAM & MAX MOVIE!

Is Purcell still in Pixar? Hopefully having one of the old lucasartsters on the inside will help in not letting those IPs disappear in the sea of licences that Disney+Lucasfilm will become.
    Anyway, I kind of shrug at the idea of a Disney-filtered Sam and Max.
    Comment by: pheeph | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 19:00 | Quote
    I heard the news... I'm personally mixed on this... on one hand it might jump start the star wars series... but I'm also afraid they might mess it up...
    Comment by: jannar85 | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 18:56 | Quote
    Well, I hope for a reboot of the monkey island movie at some point... :)
    Comment by: Jason | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 18:49 | Quote
    The implications are staggering. I'm sure whatever effect this will have on LucasArts' original IP will be anticlimactic, though.
    Comment by: BillieJoe86 | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 18:37 | Quote
    What made our LucasArts so great was the fact that Lucas didn't get involved in the games, and that geniuses like Barwood, Gilbert, et al., were free to experiment and achieve greatness. Now, they will be an even smaller branch in a waaaay larger conglomerate. This MIGHT (if we are lucky) mean more Monkey Island (maybe, hopefully), and Lucas' companies getting access to more and maybe better employees. But this is it: independence is gone for LucasFilm and LucasArts. It's just an idea, I know, and we might not be too happy with some of LucasArts' latest productions to begin with. But Lucas' empire is no longer independent. In other words, I rather have Lucas' empire be a mess because Lucas decided to, because in the end, he is the creator. He is the one who started LucasArts, and empowered those aforementioned geniuses to create what we love. That idea, ladies and gentlemen, that spirit, is now totally gone.
    Comment by: Rum Rogers | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 18:35 | Quote
    I wonder what this could possibly mean to LucasArts? I don't know if I should feel happy or sad... so I'd say I'm scared right now.
    Comment by: Laserschwert | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 17:29 | Quote
    Ron twitters:

I pretty sure this whole Lucas/Disney deal went down so they could get a hold of Monkey Island. That would make sense.

Comment by: Melancholick | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 17:01 | Quote
    ... at this point, I feel like I'd enjoy a Jerry Bruckheimer Star Wars movie more than anything that George is capable of making happen. Hopefully, all those Pixar geniuses who grew up as franchise nerds are frothing at the mouth to make a movie that restores some of the mythology and grandeur to whatever's left in the license.

Or, you know: more Clone Wars. Kids do love them Clone Wars.
    Comment by: Jon N/A | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 16:58 | Quote

valkian

Jon N/A

I wonder what this means for ScummVM and ResidualVM and released/in-production fan games...

All those extremely popular Disney fan games were never taken down. No reason to worry.

Cool!
    Comment by: valkian | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 16:55 | Quote

Jon N/A

Comment by: Gov. Phatt | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 16:55 | Quote
    So much for Lucas being adamant about no more Star Wars films, leaving specific instructions in his will.
    Comment by: Jon N/A | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 16:52 | Quote
    Comment by: valkian | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 16:45 | Quote
    Clearly, the .05 in the 4.05 billion dollars, is the value of Loom.
    Comment by: jp-30 | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 16:32 | Quote
    Pixar - Lucas - Disney... SAM & MAX MOVIE!

Or, y'know, more Star Wars.
    Comment by: Threepwood4life | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 16:25 | Quote
    Comment by: Skooj | Posted 30 Oct, 2012, 16:23 | Quote
    This is nuts. And yet, I wonder if this will mean any changes for LucasArts. Disney bought out Lucas to get their mitts on his franchises; is it a stretch to think that Monkey Island 6 is a little more likely? There's definite money there. Or maybe the MI film could become a reality. Who knows? Only one thing is sure: Star Wars 7 will probably be in 3D.