LucasArts News

The Voice of LucasArts Interviewed

15 Nov, 2002, 16:23 | Posted by: Jake | Source: Shacknews
Computer and Video Games has interviewed Tom Sarris, the head of public relations at LucasArts. The interview goes over LucasArts' increased focus on the console market, other stuff like Galaxies, and then stuff about Full Throttle 2, Sam & Max 2, and a mention of Monkey Island. Here's a question about Sam & Max 2's E3 presence next year (hint: hype!), and a bit about the gameplay:
With something like Sam & Max 2, do you have any idea of how you're going to establish such credibility?

Sarris: Not quite yet. We're so concentrated on our Fall and spring games right now that we haven't really even begun to think very seriously about what efforts we're going to need to put into Sam & Max 2. Certainly we're going to showcase it in a very high-profile way at E3 2003.

It is in development, but it's very early days right now. In the next six to eight months it's definitely going to progress to a point where we can showcase it then and show people that it's going to be a very important part of our line-up.

Presumably Sam & Max 2 will still be an adventure, but you're going to have to move away from the point-and-click style of the original Sam & Max?

Sarris: Yeah, although I'm not really sure at the moment how that looks. However, I do believe that, as with the original, there will be mini-games.
Read the whole interview over at Computer and Video Games' website.

• Comment by: netmonkey | Posted 16 Nov, 2002, 12:43
    I think I figured out the title for Sam & Max 2:

"Sam & Max Hit The Road Again" :P
  • Comment by: Scummbuddy | Posted 16 Nov, 2002, 23:41
    On the road again.

Its not going to be Sam and Max In Space though. Sam and Max hit the vacuum of space!
  • Comment by: Entity | Posted 15 Nov, 2002, 17:19
    Great Interview... except for the fact that he keeps saying another generation of game players - Grim Fandango was released in 1998... Its not like no one remembers it, It wasn't that long ago! :)
  • Comment by: Jake | Posted 15 Nov, 2002, 17:39
    Sam & Max came out in like 1993. If you are 15 now, you were 5 or 6 then. You would not have played Sam & Max.
  • Comment by: Trapezoid | Posted 15 Nov, 2002, 21:57
    I played Sam and Max when I was 5 or 6. 16 now.
  • Comment by: Entity | Posted 15 Nov, 2002, 17:43
    Ok... I guess I'm just complaining specifically about the Grim Fandango thing then. :)
  • Comment by: telarium | Posted 15 Nov, 2002, 16:51
    Hooray Tom Sarris!
  • Comment by: QueZTone | Posted 15 Nov, 2002, 16:49
    best news all week btw :)
  • Comment by: Sloth | Posted 15 Nov, 2002, 17:54
  • Comment by: QueZTone | Posted 16 Nov, 2002, 03:45
    that was last week ?
  • Comment by: QueZTone | Posted 15 Nov, 2002, 16:46
    Sarris: I'd say so. I'd say that they're extremely viable properties for us to tap into in the future, in the same way that we're doing with Sam & Max. There's no reason why we can't adapt those to another generation of games players. I think there are stories that still remain to be told within Monkey Island and Grim Fandango.

cool :) but they best not be messing that one up! ;)
  • Comment by: Jake | Posted 15 Nov, 2002, 16:27
    I hope the Sam & Max sequel doesn't suckily fade them into the next Jak & Daxter, Toejam & Earl, Ratchet & Clank, etc etc wacky platforming duo team-up character set. To those who know nothing about their history it will probably look like that at E3 this year...