Our new podcast series "People With Unrelated Accents" debuts with "In Defense of Escape from Monkey Island"

18 May, 2018, 14:21 | Posted by: Remi

Here at Mojo, some of us quite like Escape from Monkey Island, enough so that three people with unrelated accents came together to gab about the red-headed cousin in the Monkey Island franchise. Join Jason, Remi, and Zaarin as they defend the game, either by downloading the episode, or by subscribing to the greater MojoCast series with these fine feeds (with the caveat that our RSS actually work):

Comment by: Call me Squinky | Posted 20 May, 2018, 23:17 | Quote

ThunderPeel2001

(I should listen to the podcast.)

Aside: Anyone who thinks that MI2's ending revealed the entire world was a fantasy wasn't paying attention. The ending is deliberately inconclusive and contradictory in order to be as contentious and controversial. That's the point. Not that everything was a fantasy.

I agree that it left things open to interpretation. That being said, I found the CMI explanation to be a cop-out, and a bit of a disappointment. I think the possibility that Guybrush is just a kid imagining everything is far more interesting, and I'd say that even some things in SMI could support that interpretation (i.e. some of the Insult-Sword Fighting pirates saying "Play along, Guybrush" in response to one of the dialogue tree options).
    Comment by: ThunderPeel2001 | Posted 20 May, 2018, 22:31 | Quote
    (I should listen to the podcast.)

Comment by: ThunderPeel2001 | Posted 20 May, 2018, 22:29 | Quote
    EMI is an odd one. The first time I played it I really enjoyed it, but the second time I saw all the issues everyone else was complaining about. It really just isn't very good.

It takes us back to Melee (yay!) but then changes everything (boo!). It fixed Elaine's terrible voice (yay!) but made the world empty and dull (boo!). It gave us Monkey Kombat (boo!), gave us a crappy answer to the Secret (boo!), and introduced a stupid plot hole because the developers apparently weren't playing attention when they played SOMI (boo!). But it did have the time puzzle (yay...).

Ron Gilbert has argued that the world of an adventure game is hugely important. It's where we spend our time, and if it doesn't have a personality that we want to spend time with, the game will fail. EMI's world was visually ugly (even for the time, as I remember), but also ruined any atmosphere with endless jokey anachronisms.

The previous MI games used the anachronisms sparingly to maintain their atmosphere. EMI didn't seem to care about maintaining world logic (which is part of the reason we got Monkey Kombat). Maybe Ron Gilbert hit the nail on the head with his observation, and that's really what's wrong with EMI, I don't know.

The production levels were generally good... I have to wonder if the development was hamstrung by a lower budget, though. It just seemed to be missing all the lovely touches and details that made CMI such a joy to play.
    Comment by: Pshield | Posted 19 May, 2018, 14:05 | Quote
    After years of visiting this site, this podcast finally forced me to register. Loved the analysis and reliving this experience - really haven't played it since the early 2000s so this definitely took me back. Regardless of where it shakes out in the ranking, its part of the saga so I would love to see this up on GOG or steam to relive these memories sometime soon. It was funny listening along and shouting back about Monkey Kombat, Elaine's Voice Actor, some of the more difficult puzzles, etc. Great job.
    Comment by: Remi | Posted 19 May, 2018, 00:47 | Quote

Scummbuddy

Scummbuddy

... as Elaine's dad.

Grandfather, of course.

Wasn't it both?
    Comment by: Scummbuddy | Posted 19 May, 2018, 00:41 | Quote

Scummbuddy

... as Elaine's dad.

Grandfather, of course.
    Comment by: Scummbuddy | Posted 19 May, 2018, 00:38 | Quote
    You all talked of Meathook's island being changed and that I as a long-time fan shouldn't be so upset about it. But that was just another occurrence of messed up continuity. And I won't take Herman as Elaine's dad.
    And I was bored to death doing "gubernatorial" chores. It's like going to watch a Star Wars movie and watching trade agreements and congressional hearings. Oh wait, we did that too.
    But I am one of those haters who only played through it just once, back when it was released. I played all the games on their release and I felt this game was not in the spirit of the previous Monkey Island lore.
    Comment by: neon_git | Posted 18 May, 2018, 20:17 | Quote
    Unlike EMI, the podcast was really enjoyable.
    Comment by: Jason | Posted 18 May, 2018, 20:13 | Quote

Call me Squinky

Well I probably shouldn't have declared so confidently that there is a "consensus" of EMI being the least favorite. It is just a perception. I don't think it is radical to prefer EMI to any of the others games. I think all the games are closer in quality than is often considered.
    Comment by: Threepwood4life | Posted 18 May, 2018, 18:19 | Quote
    RetroAhoy, a great video content creator did this documentary on SOMI https://youtu.be/9F9ahZQ7oP0
    Comment by: J0j0 | Posted 18 May, 2018, 17:30 | Quote
    What a funny coincidence! Just yesterday I contribute a critic score of EMI from 2000 on Mobygames!! It has a score 99 out of 100. This shows that EMI is indeed an underrated game. You can find it here, but it is in Greek though...
    Comment by: Call me Squinky | Posted 18 May, 2018, 17:01 | Quote
    Great analysis guys!

I think the interesting thing about CMI vs EMI is that CMI took the escapism up a notch, presenting the pirate world as pretty much the reality (the Big Whoop carnival, for example, is presented as part of the pirate world rather than the true reality underpinning the fantasy, as in MI2). EMI takes things in the opposite direction - it arguably still presents the pirate world as the reality, but now it is threatened by commercialization, which also threatens our level of escapism and immersion because it brings us out of the fantasy. SMI and MI2 have great worlds to escape into, whether or not they're a fantasy, and their implication of those worlds being a fantasy is more subtle. EMI I think for some fans wasn't as much of an escape as CMI, and therefore got a poorer reception. When I played it as a kid, I hadn't played the other games and didn't have a reference for what the rest of the series was like, but I enjoyed it and it led me to check out the rest of the series. I can see though how fans who had been following the series might have not enjoyed it as much, and I agree that the previous games were better. I will say again though that personally I prefer EMI to TMI, but evidently I'm in the minority there.