Information on the canceled EGA-to-VGA version of Secret of Monkey Island emerges

17 Oct, 2018, 19:43 | Posted by: Remi

Remember that thread on LucasForums fifteen years or so ago about the canceled VGA version of Secret of Monkey Island? Of course you do, because all of you who are here now were there then.

If you don't recall: There was an early effort to create a fairly straight VGA port of the in-development EGA version. Presumably LEC decided to attempt something a bit more extravagant, and we do, of course, all know the final VGA version which today might be considered the de facto MI1. (Although that, really, should be the Amiga version. ¬)

The earlier version was in a playable state, with some (but far from all) of the graphics converted to 256 colors. See below for a screenshot, which, to me, reminds me of the VGA version of Loom.

The good news: This version of the game works with ScummVM, and we will have the resource files available hopefully within the next week. (Which means you can play the game if you already possess MI1.) Our deep throat is putting a couple of compatibility fixes into place as we speak, so stay tuned for more soon.

For now -- this is what could have been:

Comment by: Remi | Posted 30 Oct, 2018, 18:30 | Quote

elTee

Oh dear. There's going to be some further information about this appearing on the site in the next few days. REMI

What? I just REPORT on the news!
    Comment by: elTee | Posted 30 Oct, 2018, 17:16 | Quote
    Comment by: Scummbuddy | Posted 29 Oct, 2018, 22:39 | Quote
    I see that an old forum thread on TellTales forums still has much of the discussion too. https://telltale.com/community/discussion/15836/somi-se-backgrounds-fix-patch-and-other-mods
    Comment by: Rum_Rogers | Posted 29 Oct, 2018, 18:08 | Quote

Scummbuddy

I just looked at WorldOfMI and ScummBar and don't see links to the Special Edition mods, like the ones I mentioned in my previous comment here. Were they only held on their LucasForum post thread??

Well, the hair patch is still at its place: https://www.facebook.com/monkeyislandhairpatch/
    Comment by: Remi | Posted 29 Oct, 2018, 15:40 | Quote

Scummbuddy

I've never heard of any mods, but Spiffy was definitely in the "original," un-modded SE.
    Comment by: Scummbuddy | Posted 29 Oct, 2018, 12:52 | Quote
    Comment by: Rum_Rogers | Posted 29 Oct, 2018, 10:23 | Quote

Scummbuddy

At least, if I am remembering correctly...

Not exactly: Spiffy was already present in the SE version without patches, even though switching back to Classic Mode during the dialog changed the current room back to the SCUMM Bar.
    Comment by: Scummbuddy | Posted 28 Oct, 2018, 13:39 | Quote

Scummbuddy

Spiffy was added, into one of the many mods that came for the MI 1 Special Edition. Like the one where you can fix Guybrish's hair, or have the voice pack play with the old graphics.

At least, if I am remembering correctly...
    Comment by: Scummbuddy | Posted 28 Oct, 2018, 13:39 | Quote
    Comment by: ThunderPeel2001 | Posted 27 Oct, 2018, 09:15 | Quote

Rum_Rogers

It was still a WIP, but it doesn't matter how many colors you use anyway, what matters is how many colors you ARE ABLE to use.

Ahhhhh. Very interesting development. I wonder if Spiffy could ever see the light of day...
    Comment by: Rum_Rogers | Posted 25 Oct, 2018, 10:35 | Quote

ThunderPeel2001

There looks to be WAY less than 256 colours on that screen... how could be considered VGA?

Comment by: ThunderPeel2001 | Posted 24 Oct, 2018, 19:49 | Quote
    Comment by: Javier Tolstoi | Posted 22 Oct, 2018, 13:41 | Quote

counting_pine

Sounds intriguing, but I don't feel like I really understand what this is talking about.. An in-development EGA version of Monkey Island from 2003?

I think it's some sort of beta version. Not in development, they're just compatibil...izifying it.
    Comment by: counting_pine | Posted 22 Oct, 2018, 13:01 | Quote
    Comment by: J0j0 | Posted 18 Oct, 2018, 12:54 | Quote
    Is April fool day already or am I dreaming??
    Comment by: bgbennyboy | Posted 18 Oct, 2018, 06:06 | Quote
    Obscure lec history, references to ancient forum threads, a bit of amiga truth telling and a shifty eye in the post. This is why I pay my patron money. Great stuff.
    Comment by: Rum_Rogers | Posted 17 Oct, 2018, 21:29 | Quote
    C'mon, who's the mole?
    Great, great stuff here!
    Comment by: AlfredJ | Posted 17 Oct, 2018, 19:55 | Quote
    Wait, where is this insider stuff suddenly coming from? Did you guys finally crack ATM's illuminati code? I'm looking forward to all 7 versions of The Dig if so.