Telltale games, Dragon's Lair style

13 Jun, 2018, 18:10 | Posted by: Remi | Source: The Verge

Netflix is setting itself up as a gaming platform of sorts. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details myself, but one of the launch titles will be Minecraft: Story Mode -- indubitably a Mojo reader favorite -- and it sounds . . . Well, I never played the original, but anything that's "delivered via video files and will accept commands via any remote equipped with directional and select buttons" seems suspiciously close to the Dragon's Lairs of yore. The game will be released later this year.

Additionally, Telltale is working on a Stranger Things game which is what it is, I suppose.

Comment by: Rum_Rogers | Posted 15 Jun, 2018, 12:37 | Quote

ThunderPeel2001

Rum_Rogers

Telltale, Mojo or both?

We've weathered worse! :) I think TellTale is getting a bit lost as the big IP company, and that's a trick that players will become tired of.

Just kidding, Mojo will never die! :)

Laserschwert

Seems like an interesting business model for Telltale: Rendering all their (already finished) games to thousands of video files and license those to Netflix.

It's ironic how they were all about innovating adventure games and then probably coming back to one of the oldest game genres ever: Laser games.
    Comment by: Laserschwert | Posted 15 Jun, 2018, 08:03 | Quote
    Comment by: ThunderPeel2001 | Posted 15 Jun, 2018, 07:49 | Quote

Rum_Rogers

Telltale, Mojo or both?

Comment by: Rum_Rogers | Posted 14 Jun, 2018, 13:23 | Quote

ThunderPeel2001

I doubt they'll be around in 5 years myself :-/

Telltale, Mojo or both?
    Comment by: ThunderPeel2001 | Posted 14 Jun, 2018, 12:54 | Quote
    I doubt they'll be around in 5 years myself :-/
    Comment by: Rum_Rogers | Posted 13 Jun, 2018, 22:15 | Quote

AlfredJ

Well okay.

I guess in 5 years or so it's gonna look weird for Mojo to cover Telltale. As much weird as covering EA Sports.
    Here, I said it.
    Comment by: AlfredJ | Posted 13 Jun, 2018, 19:49 | Quote
    Well okay.

Smart business move at least, and something people have been speculating about ever since they started talking about that Super Show business however long ago. If they can get a game on there that's aimed at an older audience (there are already quite a few kid's adventures on there) that plays on that nostalgia of choose-your-own adventures, it could be the thing to pull Telltale out of their financial misery. I guess Stranger Things could take care of that.

Of course, if that's going to be their main thing in the future, I'm guessing the days of more classic point & clicks (or even walking around in an environment or 2) is really going to be a thing of the past. But, you know, I have no idea what else I would really want from Telltale at this point, apart from turning back the clock to 2012 or so, and making sure they kept focusing on taking care of their employees/innovative storytelling games.

So I guess this is fine. At least it's an interesting direction to take for a gaming company, even if I don't recognize the people working there anymore, or have any particular interest in the games they're making. But that's nothing new.