Telltale talk 'deeper stories' and Star Wars

05 Jan, 2013, 16:38 | Posted by: jp-30 | Source: Venture Beat
In an interesting interview with Venture Beat, Telltale's senior vice president of publishing Steve Allison expanded on this quote by Dan Connors:

"Coming from LucasArts, we always felt we could do a great Star Wars story game," Telltale chief executive officer Dan Connors told Red Bull U.K. in an interview. "We also love the idea of building out a deeper story to a great game franchise — something like Half Life Stories or Halo Stories."

Allison clarified by saying:

"[Dan Connors was] speaking more to our goal of wanting to take on a major gaming franchise someday. [We want] to build a narrative game series that supports another franchise - as we passionately believe [our game] would not compete with or cannibalize [Halo 4 or the next Half-Life.]"

Allison believes that a Telltale adventure game based on a major gaming or movie franchise would only boost player investment in the series. Especially since the developer’s games are so different from what most of these properties are best known for.

"Will we do this? Yes, we believe we will some time very soon..."

I'd love to see Telltale work with Disney on a Star Wars game, though that's in part because the relationship might bode well for future games using classic LucasArts IP. Or something based on The Muppets.

Comment by: daltysmilth | Posted 13 Jan, 2013, 02:36 | Quote
    Never mind. Someone already did. http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/guybrush+threepwood

Good job, internet.
    Comment by: daltysmilth | Posted 13 Jan, 2013, 02:32 | Quote
    I've heard about that C-3PO game. I wonder why it was cancelled. Was it "marketplace realities", or were they just not able to get ahold of Anthony Daniels. I don't know why, but video games seem to be the one form of media in which Anthony Daniels has not yet played Threepio.

Incidentally, I just thought of a great idea for a piece of fanart:
    Guybrush Threepio. Someone make it happen.
    Comment by: Melancholick | Posted 06 Jan, 2013, 20:00 | Quote
    It totally was, yeah. Safe to say I think TT would shoot the lights out on a Star Wars narrative, even if it was more swashbuckling and less 1313. :D
    Comment by: Jones Jr | Posted 06 Jan, 2013, 17:02 | Quote

jp-30

I think the MATURE bit was a Star Wars 1313 reference. ;)

Of course! :)
    Is that still happening?!!!
    Comment by: jp-30 | Posted 06 Jan, 2013, 00:32 | Quote

Jones Jr

Melancholick

Yes, yes... but would the resulting game be MATURE?

By "MATURE", if you mean mature content, you really should have a look at The Walking Dead. TTG can do mature content with no problems - the tone of that game was in tune with that of the comic books, and they are by no means light reading.
    If you are referring to their engine, no arguments here that the TellTale Tool could use a bit more fine tuning.
    Oh and they need to have higher quality audio in their releases - my download bandwidth can take it, but currently sometimes my ears can't!

I think the MATURE bit was a Star Wars 1313 reference. ;)
    Comment by: Jones Jr | Posted 06 Jan, 2013, 00:14 | Quote

Melancholick

Yes, yes... but would the resulting game be MATURE?

Comment by: Melancholick | Posted 05 Jan, 2013, 21:12 | Quote
    Yes, yes... but would the resulting game be MATURE?
    Comment by: jp-30 | Posted 05 Jan, 2013, 18:28 | Quote

daltysmilth

I've always wondered why Lucasarts never made a Star Wars graphic adventure. I suppose their Episode I game and the KOTOR games have graphic adventure elements, but they're not primarily adventure games.

there was one in development using the scumm engine. You played as C3PO. It was cancelled before it was announced.
    Comment by: daltysmilth | Posted 05 Jan, 2013, 18:05 | Quote