Grim Fandango: Long lost bug found, fixed!

12 Jan, 2012, 15:39 | Posted by: ThunderPeel2001 | Source: ResidualVM.org
The clever chaps at ResidualVM (the 3D sister to ScummVM) have finally discovered the reason for the missing dialogue at the end of Grim Fandango. As it turns out it wasn't a design choice, it was a simple bug...
A bug so buried that apparently not even Tim Schafer was aware of its existence:

"I had no idea that there was a bug in Grim that caused a critical dialog not to play! :O! But these guys fixed it."

The bug is now fixed for players using the latest version of ResidualVM to play Grim Fandango.

You can get ResidualVM for free here: http://www.residualvm.org

Comment by: ThunderPeel2001 | Posted 13 Jan, 2012, 11:34 | Quote

Jennifer

If you talked to Domino in his office at the beginning of the game you couldn't talk to him again at the end of the world. He'd just sit there at his desk, seemingly ignoring you if you tried to talk to him.

It's so strange. I remember him sitting there silently, on the many times I've played through the game, and it did strike me as odd, in hindsight.
    Comment by: Jennifer | Posted 13 Jan, 2012, 08:52 | Quote

Lagomorph

What were the lines that wouldn't play and in what context were they set? I've finished the game dozens of times and I've never noticed it!

Comment by: MrSneeze | Posted 13 Jan, 2012, 07:57 | Quote

Threepwood42

MrSneeze

Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit

Indigo Prophecy was a big let down for me personally. It had such promise and the first half of the game was quite fantastic but it went crazy and to me just got really stupid :( Wasn't a huge fan of the Simon says style gameplay either. Heavy Rain(to me) was a HUGE improvement on the type of the Cage was trying to do with Fahrenheit, I'm really excited for whatever he ends up doing next :D

Haven't played Heavy Rain yet. And I agree on the Fahrenheit comments, but I kept finding myself wanting to replay it as soon as I had finished it. I installed and completed the game 2 months ago or so, even though I had bought it about a year after it came out, so I didn't have high expectations as I would had I read the promo stuff. It was just fun.
    Comment by: Lagomorph | Posted 13 Jan, 2012, 05:41 | Quote
    Comment by: ThunderPeel2001 | Posted 12 Jan, 2012, 22:55 | Quote
    All version of ResidualVM are the same, as far as I'm aware. Both ScummVM and ResidualVM are designed to be portable, so it's just a case of someone compiling it for the Mac.
    Comment by: Threepwood42 | Posted 12 Jan, 2012, 22:16 | Quote
    I didn't realize there was a bug that hid dialogue in Grim Fandango *RUNS TO DOWNLOAD AND REPLAY RIGHT NOW!* Also glad Residual is almost complete, anyone know if you can play the PC version of Grim on a Mac version of Residual? My cousin never got to play Grim and he has a Mac and I only have the PC copy of the game(thought I'd let him borrow it, since they never rereleased it :( )
    Comment by: Threepwood42 | Posted 12 Jan, 2012, 22:14 | Quote

MrSneeze

Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit

Comment by: ThunderPeel2001 | Posted 12 Jan, 2012, 20:19 | Quote
    It's worth noting that you can now play and complete Grim Fandango using ResidualVM!
    Comment by: MrSneeze | Posted 12 Jan, 2012, 20:04 | Quote
    I stopped playing adventure games in 2000 after EMI (a disappointment, back then). I re-started playing AGs in 2006, I think, and in the past 6 years most of the games I've played have been, in retrospect, a letdown. They lack the polish, innovation and spirit found in older games. Notable exceptions to this are Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit and The Devil's Playhouse.

Kudos to the ScummVM/Residual team for their work, since replaying these older titles is much more fulfilling than the newer AGs being released. Can't wait for Grim to be 100% compatible (and I wouldn't mind replaying EMI for a 3rd/4th time either).