Chuck Jordan leaves Telltale

05 Jun, 2010, 03:30 | Posted by: Kroms | Source: Spectre Collie
Chuck Jordan has left Telltale Games. In his own words, "[It is n]ot my last day ever working with those guys, I'm hoping, just my last day as a regular full-timer."

The reason he gives is this: "I need to start trying out ideas and attempting to make something more experimental than even a smaller studio like Telltale could practically take on. Maybe nothing will come of it (it's entirely possible that I'm ridiculously over-estimating my own abilities), but with all the tools and support for independent games right now, there's no better time to try it and see."

For those of you who don't know who he is, Chuck Jordan's Mojo-related career started with being a programmer, co-writer and additional designer on The Curse of Monkey Island, and later a script programmer on Grim Fandango. He later wrote "Abe Lincoln Must Die!", "Reality 2.0" and "Bright Side of the Moon" from Sam and Max: Season One (aka Sam and Max Save the World), was the lead writer and co-designer on Sam and Max: Season Two (aka Sam and Max Beyond Time and Space), was designer and co-writer on the Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People episodes "Strong Badia the Free" (episode two) and "8-Bit is Enough" (episode five), and, recently, wrote, designed and co-directed "The Penal Zone", the first episode of the new Sam and Max game The Devil's Playhouse, of which he is also Season Lead Designer. He has one more episode coming-out: "The City That Dares Not Sleep", which he wrote, designed, and has completed his work on. The episode will be finished by Telltale.

Needless to say, Mixnmojo wishes Chuck Jordan the best of luck in his future endeavors. But man, did this come out of nowhere.

Comment by: hamza721 | Posted 06 Jun, 2010, 21:13 | Quote
    Chuck and Darrell should form a new game company together
    Comment by: hamza721 | Posted 06 Jun, 2010, 21:13 | Quote
    Comment by: Jason | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 23:17 | Quote

hierohero

The season designer/exec producer leaving before devils playhouse is even finished can't be good..too many good people leaving telltale lately and it sounds like burn out..maybe they need to rethink the scheduling/workload/pressure they are putting everyone under.sad news

I think you're getting out of this news what you're putting in, which is largely speculation.
    Comment by: hierohero | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 22:49 | Quote
    Comment by: Kroms | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 19:52 | Quote
    Might as well get one called Brendan as well, get their own version of that thing started.
    Comment by: Snugglecakes | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 18:02 | Quote
    The guys at Telltale need to honour Mr Jordan's time with the company by getting a plant named Chuck to put in the office.
    Comment by: Kroms | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 15:04 | Quote
    Hey, so I'd like to apologise to the TTG guys who might've been put off by my misguided "grunt work" comment. You obviously do fantastic, important and top notch work, so please don't feel like it isn't appreciated by schmucks such as myself. So, I'm sorry. And thanks for making these games so special.
    Comment by: elTee | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 08:46 | Quote
    Alright, I guess I made that a little too easy :(
    Comment by: elTee | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 08:43 | Quote

Haggis

Jake

Burn to my entire job with what you said just there, but whatever.

I thought you just waved around your cane all day looking shifty-eyed.[\quote]
    He uses the cane to identify who he saying 'fail' to ;

Comment by: Haggis | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 07:07 | Quote

Jake

Burn to my entire job with what you said just there, but whatever.

I thought you just waved around your cane all day looking shifty-eyed.
    Comment by: Kroms | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 04:13 | Quote

Jake

Haha Kroms :( Burn to my entire job with what you said just there, but whatever.

Best of luck to Chuck in whatever he does next!

Oh, for some reason I thought it was all coding and testing at this point. It just occurred to me that there's all that little stuff you do, like the transitions. Plus a billion other things I must've overlooked. Whooops. Sorry Jake.
    Comment by: Jake | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 04:00 | Quote

Best of luck to Chuck in whatever he does next!
    Comment by: Kroms | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 03:38 | Quote

Diduz

What? Damn...
    he was one of the best writers and designers there! He's leaving before The Devil's Playhouse is finished? That's strange, he was the season designer. :-/

Seems the design of the episodes is all finished. It's all just grunt work now.
    Comment by: Diduz | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 03:37 | Quote
    What? Damn...
    Comment by: Kroms | Posted 05 Jun, 2010, 03:32 | Quote
    Bit of a bummer, actually. I always looked forward to his games.