Angry Birds Star Wars Is Coming November 8th

09 Oct, 2012, 02:55 | Posted by: Jennifer
Looking for a crossover between a well known casual game and a Lucasfilm license, but Indiana Jones Adventure World isn't cutting it for you? We have good news then, as Rovio has been teasing a mashup of Star Wars and Angry Birds. Nothing has been announced other than an image of an angry bird with a lightsaber and news that the crossover will be revealed in New York's Times Square at 10 a.m. EDT on the 8th of October.

Update: According to Fast Company, who contacted Lucasfilm for clarification, the teased mash-up between the two franchises has to do with both an Angry Birds Star Wars game and an Angry Birds Star Wars toy line that includes collectible action figures and a re-imagined version of the classic board game Jenga.

Update 2: The announcement that the announcement announced has come and gone, and now we have a release date. The Angry Birds Star Wars game is coming on the 8th of November.

Comment by: Shmargin | Posted 09 Oct, 2012, 09:28 | Quote
    Since they (Rovio) made $62,040,000 in net income in 2011 alone, and almost 3 times that in revenue, I dont think they count as indie anymore. And, the reason they can keep releasing a new Angry Birds every 5 seconds is because they're usually free, or $1. People like new levels. And, the number one reason, people keep paying them.

Also, if you think about it. Rovio only doing stuff for Angry Birds is comparable to Lucas Arts only doing stuff for Star Wars. So it's a pretty good collaboration.
    Comment by: valkian | Posted 08 Oct, 2012, 14:49 | Quote
    Actually, somehow I'm a bit more annoyed (and that's somewhat of an exaggerated term for something I care very little about) about the abuse of the Angry Birds franchise than the obscene incessant milking of the Star Wars cow.
    Angry Birds is a really good game, and the huge success these indie developers had makes me glad for them. Yet, must they release a new re-branded version of the game every 5 seconds? I'm afraid they are pushing the franchise so hard and fast into people's faces that they are seriously risking it back-firing on them.
    Comment by: ThunderPeel2001 | Posted 08 Oct, 2012, 02:48 | Quote

jam4nr

I don't see how this is a Darth Vader outfit.

It's not...? It's a Jedi outfit.
    Comment by: Shmargin | Posted 07 Oct, 2012, 04:30 | Quote
    Star Wars has traditionally been branded onto everything imaginable since the beginning of its existence. Toys, bubble baths, lunch boxes, tissues, Monopoly games, fake tattoos, you name it, and its probably had Star Wars on it.

Not sure why anyone would object/care to Angry Birds getting some Star Wars. It will probably be fun and well received. Which is more than I can say for the Star Wars shampoo I had once.
    Comment by: Jennifer | Posted 07 Oct, 2012, 03:46 | Quote

jam4nr

I don't see how this is a Darth Vader outfit.

The beak threw me off. It looked like the mask.
    Comment by: jam4nr | Posted 07 Oct, 2012, 03:18 | Quote
    I don't see how this is a Darth Vader outfit.
    Comment by: Sopabuena | Posted 06 Oct, 2012, 21:27 | Quote
    A cool franchise mashed-up with a fun game? I'm ok with that
    Comment by: Jason | Posted 06 Oct, 2012, 16:15 | Quote
    Thank Christ. We needed this.
    Comment by: clone2727 | Posted 06 Oct, 2012, 14:35 | Quote
    "If you thought Star Wars Detours was bad..."
    Comment by: Kroms | Posted 06 Oct, 2012, 12:46 | Quote
    The game industry's tendency to announce announcements gets on my nerves.

Another annoyance is this kind of headline: "Star Wars, Angry Birds mash-up? Yes, please." You know, I'm trying to imagine something I like - say Monkey Island or Grim Fandango or maybe a cup of tea with a plate of chocolate chips - mashed-up with Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja or something, and then this large, eye-fluttering yawn escapes my mouth, which I think is my body's way of exorcising annoyance.

What I'm saying is, I'm annoyed.