Bearded Swede in fedora wants to help make Tim Schafer's babies happen

07 Feb, 2012, 08:23 | Posted by: Kroms | Source: Twitter

Disregard that last news update. Someone has taken the bait.

In honour of it being Charles Dickens's 200th birthday - a man who spent his 58 years on Earth creating as many babies as he created novels - popular indie guy Notch, head of developer Mojang and creator of popular game Minecraft, said the following words to Tim Schafer over Twitter: "Let's make Psychonauts 2 happen."

And then Steven Dracogen, who brought you Stacking and Costume Quest to PC, was like, "I'm in." And I was like, "Woah". And then maybe I screamed like those girls at Ed Sullivan's show when The Beatles came on. Skip to 1:35 in that video. That was so totally me.

This normally wouldn't be news-worthy, except for two reasons: Rock Paper Shotgun's confused question about whether or not to post the story, which makes a Mojo news update actually more timely than someone else's for once (Professionalism ho!); and Notch's reply, where he says he is serious (and calls Psychonauts "Tim's baby").

So! Would you like a Psychonauts sequel? It'd be interesting to see any Psychonauts-related work coming-out - doubly so since people like Erik Wolpaw (who wrote 20-30% of the dialogue) and Scott Campbell (the art director) have since left Double Fine.

Comment by: Call me Squinky | Posted 08 Feb, 2012, 14:29 | Quote
    Psychonauts is actually my favourite Tim Schafer game, and indeed my favourite game of all time. I've been waiting for a sequel for ages! Can't wait - if it's actually made!
    Comment by: Shmargin | Posted 08 Feb, 2012, 00:31 | Quote
    This is good news. I liked Psychonauts a lot, funny, good lines, gameplay that was overall pretty solid. But I also heard that Minecraft guy was a dick. So who knows?

The headline was good too, tell everyone who says otherwise to go Lemming style off a cliff.
    Comment by: Jason | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 18:25 | Quote
    I feel like I'm being hogpiled by love.
    Comment by: Jon N/A | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 16:32 | Quote
    I was on twitter when Tim said: "Wait. Hm. This is interesting" and oh how I was hyped :)
    I doubted Mojo covering this early since you didn't get Dracogen's investment published early. Go Kroms :D
    Comment by: Sopabuena | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 15:57 | Quote
    Some twitter update:
    @TimOfLegend: It's always unsettling to wake up to five text messages that say, "You'd better check your Twitter."

@TimOfLegend:Man, so many tweets. I assume this is all people asking for codes to Happy Action Theater and Rise of the Martian Bear?

@TimOfLegend: Oh wait. Hm. This is interesting.

@Dracogen: So apparently something happened on the Internets today about some old game. It's so exciting! I wonder how it will all work out.

@YeOldeDFShoppe (Double Fine Shop): @Dracogen Oh man, oh man, oh man!! I can tell you the office is buzzing today!
    Comment by: Threepwood42 | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 15:55 | Quote
    Oh please yes! Also, would Ron Gilbert be involved with a sequel in some capacity???? Because that would be awesome.
    Comment by: elTee | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 13:48 | Quote
    I thought it was a good headline :)
    Comment by: Logic | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 12:17 | Quote
    I dig the personal nature of this scenario. One creative developer enthusiastically supporting another. I hope it goes ahead and succeeds wildly for all involved.
    Comment by: Jayel | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 11:54 | Quote
    I wouldn't mind a sequel. heck, even if it were a bite-sized downloadable title.
    Comment by: Jake | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 10:30 | Quote
    I'm prett sure Scott Campbell still does work for Double Fine, just not full time and not in the office.
    Comment by: ThunderPeel2001 | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 09:56 | Quote

And they have a decent headline, too. (Sorry Kroms -- I love you really! I just hate it when the joke headline is less interesting than the "proper" one. "Psychonauts 2 May Be Happening!" is actually more exciting.) #petpeeves
    Comment by: Sopabuena | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 09:53 | Quote
    I don't think Tim would attemp a sequel without a proper plan, and as he said before he already pitched the idea to some publishers. So the basic idea for the game must be there and it is probably good. Also there is a new market for these kind of games and some lessons learnt from the first Psychonauts release, it could work! I'm worried about Double Fine's developing times and the incoming next generation of consoles. Oh, and please no creative input from Notch.
    Comment by: Ignatius_Cheese | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 09:25 | Quote
    Discussions with Notch and Dracogen have been moved "offline" (i.e. off Twitter) 10 minutes ago. This is really happening people!
    Comment by: Ignatius_Cheese | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 09:18 | Quote
    Shirley Scott C can be employed on a freelance basis to work on the art for a Psychonauts sequel... What with him contributing to the commentary on the Vault Viewer 'n' all.

It just wouldn't feel the same without him!
    Comment by: AlfredJ | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 08:58 | Quote
    Weird as it may sound, this is probably the biggest chance Psychonauts 2 is going to get in the next couple of years. I really hope this is going to happen. I suppose a series of smaller games is more likely than one giant game. Which would be fine by me.

After playing Happy Action Theater for a couple of hours (that's right, hours) last sunday and sharing a dance with Raz in that game I'm totally ready for more Psychonauts.
    Comment by: Jeo | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 08:53 | Quote
    And now... we wait... and giggle uncontrollably...
    Comment by: Kroms | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 08:36 | Quote
    Although, we did beat Eurogamer. Take that , you Europeans! Go dance a polka while dressed in Frou Frous in your high brow existentialist movies!

Then again, we probably knew about this before Tim Schafer himself did. Oh yeah. Hipster journalism.

Hey guys look at me commenting on my own news update like a madman. Hello? Is that an echo?
    Comment by: Kroms | Posted 07 Feb, 2012, 08:26 | Quote